Getting organised

  1. Kempten University of Applied Sciences
  2. International
  3. Incoming
  4. Exchange students
  5. Getting organised

Getting off to a good start in Kempten

We’re delighted that you’re interested in studying at Kempten University of Applied Sciences! Here, you can find advice and suggestions for to help organise your stay::

Arrival / Welcome service

As part of the welcome services that we offer to our exchange students, local students are on hand to greet you when you arrive in Kempten.
We will arrange for someone to meet you at Kempten train station (or at your hall of residence if you’re coming by car) and show you to your room or flat. This sets you up with your first personal contact, who can give you some insider info straight away about living in Kempten and local facilities (e.g. the nearest shops), and introduce you to the others living at the same place. To arrange your “meet & greet”, please let the International Office know in good time exactly when you’ll be arriving.

Learning German / German language courses

During the Orientation Fortnight, Kempten University of Applied Sciences offers all exchange students a German pre-sessional course . During the semester, too, German language courses run at various levels (from beginners through to C1) as regular courses.

Please plan to arrive in Kempten early enough to attend Orientation Fortnight and take part in our German pre-sessional course. We also strongly recommend that you make use of the German courses we offer and attend classes regularly! After all, this is already the first step towards making a proper success of your stay and enjoying yourself as much as possible in Kempten and at our university. You can attend any of the German courses at Kempten University of Applied Sciences for free.

Costs and fees

If you’d like to check tuition fees and other charges, and get an idea of the cost of living in Kempten, click here.


Whether you require a visa for Germany depends on your home country and how long you wish to stay.

If you are a citizen of the European Union (EU), the European Economic Community (EEC) or Switzerland, you don’t need a visa to enter the Federal Republic of Germany.

If you are from a country outside the EU, you might have to apply for a visa ahead of your stay. You can get information about visa requirements from the German embassy or consulate in your home country. If you need one, be sure to apply for it in your country of residence well ahead of time. The German foreign representations (embassies or general consulates) are responsible for the process.
A list of the German foreign representations’ addresses is posted on the German Foreign Office website (Directory of the German Embassies). You can also find out there which documents you need for the application process.

Living in Kempten

The university sets aside a number of rooms in two local halls of residence for exchange and programme students.

The complex on Zugspitzstrasse provide rooms in shared flats (“WG”s) of five or six . Everyone has their own furnished room and shares a kitchen and bathroom with fellow residents. The building is right next to campus and the monthly rent is around 230 euros.

The complex on Reichlinstrasse consists of several furnished individual apartments . Each includes its own bathroom and a kitchenette. The building is also located centrally in Kempten, some 15‑20 minutes on foot from the university. The monthly rent ranges from 270 to 300 euros, according to size.

If you would like us to help with accommodation, please let us know during the application process via the portal.

If you would prefer to arrange something yourself, you can find general information on the options available in Kempten under: Accommodation.

Health insurance

Everyone living in Germany must have health insurance – it’s compulsory. All students are required to present evidence of this within a couple of weeks of enrolment.

Please note that the requirements differ depending on whether you are normally resident in the EU or elsewhere:

Non-EU students can either sign up to a statutory health insurance provider in Germany, or insure themselves privately (German or foreign company). In the latter case, the policy must be checked by a German statutory insurance provider, you need to apply for “exemption from compulsory insurance”, and it must meet the standards required in Germany – only then can we accept this alternative at the university.

One advantage of statutory health insurance is that charges for treatment are settled directly between the physician and the insurer. A prescription fee of between 5 and 10 euros is payable at pharmacies.

Please note: Student health insurance doesn’t come into effect until you actually enrol once the semester starts (no earlier than 1 October / 15 March).

EU students must bring their European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) from their insurance provider in their home country with them and upload the details onto the Mobility Online applications portal in order to enrol.

Please note: Students who have a “mini” or “student” job or a paid internship must take out German statutory health insurance (including students from EU countries).

Please check out the different statutory health insurers and compare their range of schemes and services. Once you have selected a health insurer, you can usually apply online.

And if you happen to fall ill: The German Student Union – Intercultural Skills Service has published a useful German–English guide called “First Aid – An Illustrated Health Dictionary” .