Recognition of exam performances

  1. Kempten University of Applied Sciences
  2. International
  3. Outgoing
  4. Studying abroad
  5. Recognition of exam performances

Basics of recognising exam performances studying abroad

As a general principle, any examinations that you complete abroad will be recognised as part of your studies at Kempten University of Applied Sciences, as long as the skills in question are broadly similar.

The switch to awarding bachelor’s and master’s degrees as part of the Bologna process and the ratification of the Lisbon Convention placed learning outcomes and skills at the heart of the examination and recognition process. This also means that the number of hours involved in a course and the ECTS Credit Points are not the key factor for recognising compulsory subjects, but purely the acquired skills. You will need to submit the relevant course or module descriptions as evidence of what you have studied (in English or German, please).

The launch of ECTS (European Credit Transfer System) and awarding ECTS Credit Points makes it easier to compare studies abroad with what you would do at Kempten University of Applied Sciences. 

You can find useful information (in German) about recognising performance in the flyer produced by the  German Rectors’ Conference (HRK) – nexus project.


Procedure at Kempten University of Applied Sciences

We coordinate the process here in the  International Office.

All requests for recognition of studies abroad (advance application for recognition / learning agreement and application for recognition of grades) are submitted via the Mobility Online applications portal. So you can find all the relevant forms as soon as you have applied for a semester abroad.

First, the International Office will check your request (the formalities – that it’s complete and the documents are genuine), before passing it on to your faculty (examinations board).

If you have any questions about the general regulations for examinations or those for your specific degree programme and examinations, please contact Academic Registry.

Time required for a decision

It will take about 2–3 weeks to process requests for recognition (complex requests might take a bit longer). Academic Registry will advise you of the decision by email.

This process might take longer during the lecture-free period.

Your faculty examination board will check the details and make the decision regarding your request for recognition and also convert your grades.
Academic Registry is responsible for implementing the decision, i.e. informing students and recording officially recognised studies.

Advance recognition request

As soon as you have been offered a place at a partner university,  you can request advance recognition via the Mobility Online applications portal (see Application process).

Students studying abroad under free movement can submit their requests via Mobility Online as soon as they have been admitted to the foreign university.

If your application to a certain host university depends on recognition of specific courses, it is also possible, as an exception, to request recognition before applying. Please email us in such cases, and we will send you a request form.

Course/module descriptions

Please attach a brief course/module description to your recognition request so that the content of your studies can be checked. You will often be able to find the required information on university websites.

The descriptions should be submitted in either English or German. If no descriptions are available in English, you cab submit the original text (e.g. in Spanish or French) and translate the key information into German yourself.

Getting your request pre-approved guarantees that your studies will be recognised – subject to passing the relevant examination.

Lists of recognised subjects

Lists of all the subjects / modules that have already been checked for recognition are kept by the International Office. You can find the list for your chosen partner university using the search engine :

  • Select your partner university.
  • Click on the “i” symbol.
  • The list of recognised subjects is amongst the documents that appear.

If no such list appears, then either none exists, or no exchange has taken place with this particular partner university for quite some time.

Please always check that the recognition for your chosen subject is valid. If the expiry date has passed, then recognition will need to be verified.

If an exact match for your chosen subject appears in the list, you don’t need to submit a request (N.B. This doesn’t apply to the Learning Agreement for Erasmus+ students, who must always list all intended subjects, please).

Learning Agreement for Erasmus+ students

All Erasmus+ students sign a Learning Agreement before going to study abroad. The Erasmus+ funding can only be paid after the Learning Agreement has been signed by all parties (student, Kempten University of Applied Sciences and the partner university).

Further reading: Erasmus+ 


Request for recognition of grades

If you wish to get the grades that your achieved studying abroad added to your studies in Kempten, please request for them to be recognised, as they are as they are not automatically transferred and recorded.

You need to request recognition of your grades via the Mobility Online applications portal . As soon as your grade slips arrive, we will upload them to Mobility Online so that you can make the request. It’s entirely up to you whether you wish to add any of the examinations you took abroad to your record in Kempten.

The foreign university will send you your grade slips. However, they sometimes get sent to the International Office instead, in which case we would forward them immediately to you.

Requests for recognition of grades are checked (formalities) by the International Office before forwarding to the relevant examinations board .

Academic Registry will advise you via email once your examination achievements have been added to your record, at which point you will also be able to see them in your transcript of records.

Language courses

To get language courses recognised as a compulsory / compulsory elective module in Kempten, please submit evidence of the proficiency level , if this isn’t indicated on the grade slip. Please use the CEFR formfor this purpose. You need to get your teacher at the host university to fill this out and confirm the level of your language course. The target level must be indicated, even if the language course is already on the recognised list.


The following language arrangements apply to the Faculty of Tourism Management:
The foundation course at Kempten University of Applied Sciences teaches students to the following proficiency levels as the basic requirement for studying abroad (decided by the faculty):

  • English II: at least Level B2, French III: Level A2, Spanish III: Level A2.
  • Therefore language courses up to Level A2 (for Spanish or French) or Level B2 (for English) will not be recognised.
  • Additional information about language proficiency levels.

This means that the level of the language course at your host university must be higher than that for it to be recognised.

Classes at partner universities

The range of courses/modules that a university offers changes on a regular basis. For example, some run only in the winter or summer semester, course descriptions might change, previous courses sometimes cease, and new ones are launched. It is therefore important that you check the range of courses currently offered by the partner university.

Their websites are generally well structured and understandable. Details of the courses on offer can generally be found under headings such as International students / Study abroad / Degree programme modules / Departments, etc. There is also a link to the list of courses on the info sheet for your chosen partner university – just use the search engine.